Meeting your needs at DoppStein Laboratory
Develop hydrogen and oxygen generation cells from
Develop gas electrodes specific for your needs. Current nano catalysts are proving to be nearly as active as Platinum for
oxygen reduction at a fraction of the cost.
Develop battery and fuel cells from custom-made cathodes.
Electrochemical testing and evaluation of gas electrodes
produced elsewhere for functionality and failure analysis. Testing includes
electrochemical and impedance spectrographic analysis. Evaluation and
recommendations follow thorough testing.
Creative approaches to client needs.
Skilled at cell manufacturing line design &
Cell optimization studies and Cell failure analysis
including internal and reference electrode work.
Creative electronic circuit designer and builder. Have
created many test and application circuits.
Government contract experience (e.g.: CECOM, SBIR grants)
Work closely with patent attorneys and Patent Office.
Substantial patent portfolio.
Mentor of young scientists and engineers to learn how to
expand their horizons of thought.
Water Electrolysis Equipment:
Many test reactors have been made both in the half-cell and
whole cell design to optimize hydrogen (and oxygen) production in alkaline
electrolytes. Flat plate designs are running at high efficiencies in
creative assemblies for robust performance in many applications. Very
high Energy Efficiency and high Rate electrolyzers are developed using complex
catalyst formulations and unique physical designs.
Gas Electrode Expertise:
Developed and built a Laboratory Cathode Machine capable of
producing gas diffusion cathodes from as little as 5 grams of active mix up to
nearly continuous production. Experiments optimized the use of nano sized
particles of nickel, cobalt, silver, their alloys and oxides to catalyze the
reduction of oxygen with alkaline electrolytes. The results are cathodes which
are as thin as .002" (.05 mm) and with ambient limiting currents well
above 750 mA/cm2, and power over 500 mW/cm2. The
mid-Tafel CCV is approaching that of a fully platinized cathode. Applications
are metal air batteries and fuel cells. Testing of these electrodes include a
wide array of electrochemical and impedance studies.
Major Equipment Includes:
* Solartron S1287 Electrochemical Interface
* Solartron S1250 Frequency Response Analyzer
* Several Dedicated Laboratory Computers
* 2, Sorensen 20-50 Power supplies
* Dynatronix DPR 20-10-30 Reverse Pulse Power Supply
* DSE built wave-shape modifiers
* Electro Industry 12 amp and Digi 185 5 Amp power supplies
* Agelent 33120A Function Generator
* INSTEK GDS-1022 Oscilloscope
* Instrunet 16 channel A/D converter & test board
* Cathode half-cell Apparatus for cathode research and
* DSE built Water Electrolysis test equipment
* Gas collecting & quantifying system for hydrogen and
* TGA for carbon ash and metallic loading studies
* Five-place analytical balance
* High temperature oven (1200C (2200F) Max)
* Drying oven (260C (500F) Max)
* Small environmental chambers
* Binocular microscope
* Monocular oil-immersion microscope